Saturday, December 31, 2011

You better think...Rule 5...Think about it.

Carnival in Lincoln Park, MI

Ok, it seems almost too easy, but how many times have you just picked up the camera and fired away...only to think later I just wish I had done this or that afterward.  How do I know that this can be a big issue...I've done it too.

Bear and Butterfly at the Detroit Zoo
Royal Oak, MI

The boy scouts have it right..."Be Prepared."  It is so important to taking great shots.  I don't go out into a situation with out considering what I can be shooting.  I go to the Detroit Zoo with both my standard portrait zoom (35mm-80mm) along with my big zoom (70mm-300mm) that I use for big exhibits, such as the bears.  This allows me to shoot everything from a bear 70+ feet away but seemingly just he's almost on top of you or a butterfly not an arms length away.  Its important to plan ahead, then your not going to be regretting it later.  I carry my portrait lens for most family gatherings alone, because I know that I won't be in need of the bigger zoom.  If I have an event where I cant get close, such as a kids performance for church or school I will get the big zoom out and plan to be further away with a clean, unobstructed view.  I can actually end up with pictures you would swear I was in the front row, if you didn't know better.  Just take the time and be properly prepared.

Only on Labor Day...Mackinaw Bridge
Between Mackinaw City & St Ignace, MI

Skidway Lake...Skidway Lake, MI

The third faze of the Trillium
Along the Rifle River in Aranac Co. MI

A Sail boat and The Benton Harbor Lighthouse


Ok, when I think about prepping for a shot that sometimes means thinking months in advance, like for certain times of the year where certain flowers or events happen.  You need to do this some times.  There are other times that the shot is just there, so keep a camera ready.  This is much easier than it use to be with cell phones.  Either way the picture comes to you take advantage of it.

Looking for those that died the day I was  born on the Vietnam Memorial
Washington DC 10/2001

the Washington Memorial from The Lincoln Memorial
Washington DC 10/2001

The other thing you should be thinking about is what you see & how you can make it as interesting as possible.  I like to sometimes alter the point of view of the camera to make it more interesting than the standard shots.  I have taken more than one self portrait in a subject, just to make the viewer think, too.  I like to turn some subjects on their sides...almost.  I like to make people look at the world different, sometimes.

The Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse
Port Hope, Michigan

A 52 year old Christmas ornament of my parents.

A Chevy pick up parked in Wyandotte, MI


I just ask you to think about your shots and how your using your camera.  It doesn't need to be much... move a step right or left...zoom in or zoom out...shoot only part of the subject...choose when to shoot the the picture...taking the subject out of focus intentionally...or just turning the camera for a unique point of view. 

A Forest of lite trees Bronner's CHRISTmas store
Frankenmuth, MI

So don't be afraid to think...out of the box.  That is what will make your pictures yours.

Reed City MI barn Windows

Thank you again for stopping by...
Dan Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment